Sunday, February 15, 2015

Blog Post 5

What are Personal Learning Networks (PLN)?
Personal Learning Networks (PLN) consists of groups of people or single persons that someone who is wanting to learn interacts with and gains a knowledge that they did not previously have before. Before EDM 310, I did not have a clue what a PLN was or how it was relevant to today and my future as a teacher.
How can PLN's help you as a teacher?
PLN's will help tremendously because they are a link to all over the world. Having access to people of all different backgrounds, including education, science, and politics, will open doors for more opportunities for myself. Having knowledgeable resources will allow me to broaden my own knowledge and in turn help improve my future student's ability to learn.
How are they formed?
According to Dr. Strange it is necessary to figure out a "point of interest" and put in the work in order to receive necessary results. It may not always be easy at times, but once the information is found, a correct and quality PLN. Some useful sites, as recommended by Dr. Strange, include ones we use in our daily routines. (i.e. Facebook and Twitter.)
How to create a PLN?
Creating a PLN is quite simple. However, I was not aware of how easy it was or how useful it could be. A suggestion made by the instructions was Symbaloo, which was what I chose to be the most efficient for me. I can start by figuring out what it is I want to know and searching for the resources and people who can help me obtain it. Symbaloo creates an organized way of keep up with the information, both past and present, and collect it in a way that is most useful. It is important to ask help from those who have the knowledge you are wishing obtain. My other social media accounts, such as, Facebook and Twitter, will also prove to be a helpful thing to have.
Who will be the first additions to your PNL?
I feel like everyone has the same answer for this, but first off, I feel like it would be necessary to add my professors. They are an essential part of my development and the knowledge I currently have. It also does not hurt that I have been able to create bond with them that I would not be able to do with other resources. Next, I think I would do a little research to find out who and/or what would be most beneficial to me to follow up on and add to my PNL.

Sources not mention in text: http://www.johnstrange.com/edm310fall2009/PLN.pdf

World With Light

1 comment: