Sunday, March 15, 2015

Blog Post 8

     In Randy Pausch's Video Lecture, I was able to learn many valuable lessons for my future career as a teacher. It seems as though Mr. Pausch is trying to make the audience realize that teachers are not the only one's in a classroom that teach, just like students are not the only ones who learn. He made me realize that in order to be a great teacher, a person must first realize that learning does not end when you graduate college. Each and every day can be a learning experience for not only the students, but also the teacher and in more than just one way. Teaching styles differ from person to person and new ones can be developed over the course of a teaching career. Students have a large impact on the way a teacher may implement a lesson or discuss a course. It is important to note that in order to teach, you must be willing to let your guard down and learn. Rewarding things are rarely easy, but are always worth it in the end.
     Mr. Pausch also discussed a concept which he referred to as "head fake." This seemed a little off to me when he first said it, but after he explained it, made such a difference in my thought process. To me, learning something new can be so much more exciting if you do not look at it as a chore or hassle, but rather something exciting and fun! Convince your mind that what you are doing is beyond just some boring learning exercise and turn it into some exciting thing that makes you forget that you are even learning. The idea is so simple, but could impact the way a person can perceive learning something different or challenging.
     I was inspired by this video lecture to change the way I perceive teaching and learning. I want to take a whole to perspective on what it means to teach and the different ways that I, as an educator, can inspire, grow, and most importantly, LEARN.
inspire/be inspired picture

2 comments:

  1. Hey Payton! I agree Randy is a super inspirational guy and everyone should watch this video! I too thought head fake sounded weird but once I understood it, I definitely agree that it's an awesome message. Positivity is key!

    ReplyDelete